Poland

We made it to Poland ... with no real problems ....... except a major thunderstorm with hail as we tried to unload at the apartment.

I met a precious young Ukrainian lady who sat by me on the plane but was disappointed when I realized her lack of English and my lack of Russian prevented me from having a meaningful conversation.

We had a great afternoon walk through Old Town in Crackow. The coblestone streets, street magicians and mimes, horse-drawn carriages and street-side cafes have already made me fall in love with the city. And I've been mezmerized by the windows - I'll send a photo journal later. It's a beautiful city. Tim says this is one of his favorites!

We booked our tickets for Auschwitz Birkeneau Memorial for Sunday. I thought it would be a great time of reflection with the Lord. Even as Tim is falling asleep and I can't, my mind is rushing with thoughts about Sunday. I can't really say I want to go there - but I can't imagine being so close and not going there. I mean, how could I miss walking in the place where the Lord's children were massacred in numbers none of us want to think about. How can I not face the reality of history ... real history? I'm already so touched by being close to this place, that my mind is full of thoughts. I even asked the young man who checked us in today how this country could have come so far after being so impacted so deeply by the devastation of WWII.

Living in Ukraine has brought the reality of the war to me. In America, we talked about it. We all had someone we loved who fought in the Great War. But, living where the war was fought it is different. Traveling throughout Ukraine, I've found sites of mass burials marked by simple gravesites. I've met young ladies whose jewish families were torn apart by the devastation. Yes, the war, the Great one, is much more real to me today than when I lived in America.

Now .... in a room in Poland, only an hour away from Auschwitz ..... Oh Lord, show me this place through your eyes. Eyes of pain, sadness, grief ... and yes, hope!
This will most likely be my only visit here - I don't want to miss thing!

Comments

Anonymous said…
We went to Krakow almost three years ago (and we actually met Mark and Susie Edworthy and some other IMB folks!). We loved the city but, like you, experienced a lot of different emotions on our trip to Auschwitz. I toured as much as I could while there but finally had to sit outside on a few of the buildings - it was very emotional but, like you said, we needed to see it while we were there. We were with a group (other scientists) and went to a dinner at the Salt Miine in Wieliczka. Bob and I rented bikes one day in the city and loved riding bikes around old town and down to the river and the castle area. The day before we left, we took a day trip down to Zakopane - it was beautiful and we were able to see a lot of the countryside. Enjoy your visit.... Shelby and Bob

Popular Posts