Being more encouraging

ENCOURAGEMENT - Last week at Ukraine's Independence Day celebration in Kiev, there was a roller blade track set up on the main street. It was a circle track and only children were allowed to skate. Each child was given knee pads and arm pads and an adult volunteer skated along side them. As each child came around the completion of their "round a bout", they were cheered on and flagged in as a winner.

I loved watching those kids come around that last turn. They focused straight ahead on that orange and green flag. One girl, giving it her very best, fell down, but she was cheered back up and she made it to the end to see the green and orange flag waved for her. What encouragement!

We need to ask ourselves if we are encouragers. If not, why not?

In the Bible, we're told to "encourage each other as long as it is today". I believe we're given those instructions because we all need encouragement almost every day. It may be a simple word of encouragement that comes through a smiling face and a kind "Hello". It could be a pep talk when we need to be spurred on to do something we're struggling to do. It could also be a simple acknowledgement of a job well done!

Encouragement ...... comes in many forms. We never have any idea what a simple nod or smile may do to those we pass or meet.

My Russian is as basic as it can get! My Ukrainian is even worse. I couldn't encourage anyone using the Russian language - no matter how hard I would try. So, does that rule out me encouraging people around me? No it doesn't.

Encouragement isn't necessarily verbal. It can be a smile, a nod, a handshake, a hug (when appropriate) ..... all encouragement without words.

Life in the former USSR tends to "dull" the encourager in you. A struggle to carry on a viable conversation in a foreign language tends to "dull" the encourager in you. People rarely looking you eye to eye. City life causing everyone around you to push ahead and move along. All things that dull my "encouragement meter". Encouragement skills dulled for sure. "Dulled" yes. But, not a reason to give up attempting to be an encourager or to receive encouragement when it's offered.

Look at that photo again. Picture that little girl's face as she rounded the track and saw that flag ahead. Imagine what those people were saying to her. How they must have been encouraging her!

Now imagine the way she felt when she saw that flag waving for her! We can encourage people when they need help seeing the finish line ahead. We can encourage people who are struggling to stay on-track. You and I can be the flag-wavers for those around us who need encouragement.

I need to stop thinking I have a valid excuse for not being an encourager to those around me. I need to look for opportunities to spur others on when life gets hard. I need to be more encouraging. How about you?

Comments

Popular Posts