Moved by the Red, White and Blue

Two days ago, I went to the American Embassy with a coworker.  I knew it would be a thought-provoking visit and it was.  It's taken me a couple of days to process what it was like and how I felt.  Thought you would enjoy hearing about it.

We had the normal challenge of taking Metro, then Trolley to where we thought we were supposed to go.  Praise God, we did well - my friend had been before so she had her bearings pretty quickly.  

We walked down a very un-pretentious street.  Don't really know what I expected.  I guess I have such a high opinion of my country that I thought it would be "majestic" or something.  We walked up to a corner lot that was fenced in with a large, wrought-iron fence.  As we turned the corner, I saw 2 separate lines of people.  The first line was non-Americans (if that's a word) wanting to get in to apply for a visa.  They had to show documents and letters to get to the 2nd line.  The 2nd line of people were those who had made it through the first step.  But, they were still outside - probably had been there for hours.  It was about 35 degrees that day and not snowing, but I suspect weather would not have stopped them from trying to get an American visa no matter how long it took.

My friend and I showed our "American blue" passports and were quickly ushered ahead of both lines into a modular building at the edge of the fencing.  A man asked for our purses, and asked what electronic devices we had.  It was much like going through airport security.  The man looked at me and said "asthma".  I was stunned that he would know that about me (forgot about the meds in my purse).  I said, "Yes, I do".  As he had me empty my purse, I realized he saw my meds and that's how he knew.   Silly me. We left our things with the people here and they gave us a number to pick things back up with.  Then we went through the security thing just like at the airport.  I beeped and they had to use the wand - but they let me through.

We then entered a second building.
(No photos were allowed or I'd be showing you pictures).
They saw our passports and quickly let us through two electronically locked doors. Again, we passed a line of Ukranians lined up to get visas to go to America.

We went around the corner and THERE IT WAS!  To my surprise, when I saw the American flag standing boldly in the middle of the room, I was a bit overwhelmed.  While my friend went to the window to get her passport work done, I just sat there next to MY flag.  Next to the red, white and blue with beautiful gold fringe.  The symbol of freedom for the entire world.  In that moment, I was home in the states - at least in my heart.

It's amazing how that flag can evoke such feeling of pride, home, joy, comfort and security. My brother in law, Stewart, is a retired navy pilot.  He gave his adult life to guard the security of our country, to protect what that flag stands for.  He fought in wars to assure us of maintaing the freedom that many have fought and died for.  In that short moment in that room, that was my flag and I sensed the price that many had paid for it!

Thinking back over what only took about 30 minutes, I've found many things that remind me of my relationship with Christ.
1.  When I go into the presence of the Lord, He ushers me to the throne, right past anyone else or past any situation that tries to take His place in my life.
2.  I have to get rid of anything that gives me a false sense of security, pride or position before spending time with Him.  I have to leave everything at the "gate".
3.  He knows everything about me - everything!  He doesn't need to see my medicines to know my physical condition any more than He needs to ask me questions about my heart.
4.  He is my flag, my shield, my very great reward!  I can never be removed from His presence - not in any country or in any situation.
5.  Just as there were people all around who wanted to go where I lived - America, there are people all around me who need to know that life "in Christ" is really what they need.  Everywhere I look, they need to know Him.  I walk past them everyday.

We finished up pretty quickly, walked back out by the line of people hoping to get their US Visas.  We retrieved our "things" with our numbers and then headed out the secure gate into the world we live in, past the same people still waiting in line.

I am so proud to be an American.  Having been to Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico, Great Britain, Germany, Austria, India, Nepal, and Ukraine - I know that there is no place like America.  One Ukranian young lady told me when she went to the US she could "feel" freedom as soon as she got off the plane.  It was something she had never felt before.  I "felt" that freedom inside that compound.  But, our work isn't there and we headed back out.

I am grateful to be able to live in Ukraine.  It's a wonderful country.  They're young and they're growing to be a strong nation.  But, it's not America.  It's not supposed to be.  (There are things I'd miss if I moved back to the states.)  I'm not a statesman and I often don't think I have anything to offer.  But, then I remember - I'm here by God's call.  Saved by the red blood of Christ, made purely white by His forgiveness and I have an eternal home in the blue - the heavens!  I am American.  I am Christian.  I pray when my work is done here that I've helped people understand that the only answer for any problem they face is Christ!  Every nation, every race - all His!  Christ is the answer!

Don't know when I'll go back to the embassy - but it was good to be there.  It was good to sit by My Flag!  To those veterans who may read this, thank you!  Thank you for giving of yourself to assure that America remains free!  To your families, thank you for your sacrifice.

When you pass by an American flag today - stop for a moment.  Take a good look - that's Your Flag!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Marsha, I was moved by your description of your visit to the embassy. Most in America have no sense of what we have and what some people are willing to do to come here. Those who've never felt opression have a lesser appreciation for freedom. May the light within you keep you as warm as possible!
Nancy B
Darla said…
I love love love this blog. As Americans we do not always stop and think of our flag in that way. Our freedom is something we all do take for granted...until it is shaken. But our freedom in HIM is something that cannot be taken away from us. Thank you for bringing into forethought what we all should know....everyday.
I love you all and thank you for what you and Tim are doing through our Lord.
Darla
Dave and Judy said…
Marsha
I too have had that feeling. Several years ago my passport was stolen while in Asia. That meant a trip to the US Consulate to get another one. As I approached the building it truly is something you cannot describe. There were lines of people wanting to get visas to go to my country but I was ushered to the head of the basically empty line. There are not words to describe what you feel when you see the RED, WHITE and BLUE when all you have been seeing is Red and Yellow.
DEWS NEWS said…
Wow...I have tears in my eyes as I just read this post.
I know exactly what you mean...I was surprised the first time I went there over the same things that surprised you.
It was neat to be allowed in without having to wait in line.
As I read it reminded me of my first time back to the US after being here for a little over 4 years...the man at customs took my passport...looked at it....stamped it and then said, "Welcome Home!"
What a wonderful phrase!!!
When we get to heaven...our God will say..."Welcome Home!"
And we will be home for the first time...really!!!
Thank you for these reminders today!

Getting ready to come see you and SEW!!!

Popular Posts