Prayer should be personal!

Let me begin by saying, these are my thoughts. They are based on my experience with Jesus. I ask that you read my words as just that - I'm not suggesting that anyone else may be "wrong" or "incorrect" in the way they do things. We're all created differently. Shouldn't we consider that our relationships with Jesus will all look a little different?

In Matthew 4, Jesus called men to become his disciples. We read that Peter, Andrew, James and John follow Jesus, leaving everything behind. Matthew goes on to tell us about Jesus in Galilee where he taught in the synagogues and preached the good news, even "healed every disease and sickness among the people".

I've always wondered why God heals some on earth and chooses to heal others through physical death. (When that happens it doesn't feel like healing to us left behind.) I even pondered whether or not Jesus healed everyone He encountered who was sick. In verse 24 of Matthew 4, I read a key thought. "So they brought to Him all those who were afflicted, those suffering from various diseases and intense pains, the demon-possessed the epileptics, and the paralytics. And He healed them." So, there it is. At that time, Jesus healed all those who were brought to Him. No doubt, many others were sick and ill - but never brought to Jesus.

We understand that the time of Jesus' physical life was unique. All of us have family and friends who we've brought to Jesus in prayer over and over, but we didn't see them healed on earth. While we could debate the healing thing, the one point we should consider is the "BRINGING PEOPLE TO HIM".

The only way I can bring people to Jesus today is through prayer! No matter what we add to that or how we do it, prayer is the starting point. As I sat here this morning reflecting on that passage, I thought about my relationship with Jesus and how I talk to Him. I considered what He wants from me. How does He wants us to relate? Does He want me to talk in language that is different from the language I use when talking to loved ones on earth? Does He want me to focus so much on the Father, the Almighty, the Sovereign ... that I forget to focus on His nearness through Jesus?

My relationship with Jesus is precious to me. It is deep and personal. It is intimate and it includes highs and lows. If you heard my time with Him, you'd understand that we have real conversations. I spend time focused on the Father, and I try to listen for the Holy Spirit as He leads my prayer time and gives me direction. But, most of my conversation is with Jesus.

Prayer has been defined many ways. For me prayer is very simply talking to my precious Jesus! I do that most mornings, throughout the day, and whenever a need rushes over my heart. (Just being honest here.) I've gone through periods of darkness and trial where I poured my heart out, often in tears. I've had moments when the only way I could pray was to do it face down on the floor. There isn't a method or process through which prayer becomes effective. We see answers to prayer when it becomes a part of our lives as an on-going conversation with the Lord (whichever one that may be at the moment - the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit). Prayer lives are possible - but a praying life is my goal!

It's sad that believers have allowed disagreements over "prayer" to divide them. It's a poor witness to the unbelieving world to tell them that God only answers prayer when it's done a certain way or when it includes specific words. Weren't the people in the Matthew passage simply acting out a prayer? They were taking friends to Jesus. They were looking for answers. And they received answers when they took their loved ones to Jesus with faith that He cared about the things they cared about and that He had the answer they needed. They went to Him with pure, raw faith!

How much time do I spend praying for other people? Specific people.
How many people do I take to the Lord in prayer every day?
Who needs me to bring them to Jesus today?

Forget the prayers written by others if you want to see personal answers. Close your eyes, open your heart and just start talking. Pray your own prayers. Bring your requests to Jesus. And take the needs of those you love to Him - expecting an answer! A healing may be on the horizon!

Comments

Pam said…
I needed this, this morning. I can attest to this 100% about the conversation. I wonder sometimes when I am alone and carrying on conversations with Him, that if someone heard me they would think I was just talking to an imaginary friend. He is that close and that personal. The prayers of others in a book are wonderful reading but the prayers of my heart is what He wants to hear.
Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!
Love you,
Pam

Popular Posts