Prayer Journaling His Testimony

I loved this part of my new journal experience!  LOVED IT!  I've taken the last few days to just read through the Psalms and some of my other favorite passages to write down some of the names and attributes of God.  I literally got so lost in reading these truths that on two separate days I spent 2 hours reading and writing without realizing the time!

We want this to be a journal that leads us to prayer, not instructs us to pray.  This morning as I read through some of these truths at the beginning of my prayer time, I just let the words rain down into my heart and my thoughts.  Two hours later I'm still remembering the things I read.

My specific prayer needs are important to the Lord.  But interestingly, the list is shorter after I start my prayer time with truths about Him.  For example, praying for a friend who is battling cancer is impacted by the truths that "God heals disease" (Ps. 103:3) and that "He daily bears our burdens" (Ps. 68:19).  It gives an entirely new meaning to Him increasing and us decreasing!  He increases as we pray the truths of His character over our heart and mind and our prayer needs decrease as we trust Him to be Himself!

In closing, here are a few tips to making this part of your journal easy to use.
1.  Underline key words for quick reference.  I suspect your list will grow long like mine.
2.  Highlight or mark key words just like you mark them in your Bible for familiarity.
3.  Don't make this a work. If you put something down twice, God won't mind.  Don't worry about order.  God will bring to attention anything we need each day.
4.  As God personally reveals Himself to you with one of these truths, put a date beside it.  There is nothing better to strengthen our faith than personal experience!

I think I'll spend a few days just enjoying this part of my journal before moving on to set up the next section.  My friends, "Taste and see that the Lord is good!" (Psalm 34:8)

Comments

Popular Posts