Scarves & Vodka!

This weekend was amazing! God provided in so many ways and we thank Him for that. Truly saw eyes opening throughout the day as more than 170 women gathered to focus on REALLY Knowing God and Knowing His will for their lives!

After the first session, a lady that was probably my age came up to ask me a question. She looked older but as I talked to her, I suspect she was very close to my age. Her first question to me was "Why don't you have your head covered? Why aren't you wearing a scarf?" I explained to her that I always asked the women's leader whether or not it was expected. And, when I had done that I was informed that they were not as "conservative" as many churches so either way would be fine. I was told "do what your heart says". And I did, no scarf. Then she said many ladies are waiting over there for the answer to my next question. I thought "Oh, no"! Maybe this was a place for a scarf after all. But then the question. "Is it alright for us to read the Bible at home when we are alone and not cover our heads?" Whew! I explained to her that I believe God cares much more about our hearts than whether or not our heads were covered. We needed to ask Him that question and let Him lead us. If we felt that we couldn't read the Bible and pray without a scarf, wear one! If we were comfortable without it, don't wear one. Just seek the Lord for what to do in your alone time.

We talked a bit more about cultural differences and the need to be sensitive to new believers and unbelievers in our culture. I suggested she continue to pray and seek the leadership of her church (her culture) for public practice with a scarf. I made sure that she understood my respect for church leadership and that I always tried to submit to what was best.

Then, the next question! She reminded me that Paul told Timothy he should take a little wine for a bad stomach. I told her I knew that passage. She told me she lived very far from the city in a small village. She couldn't buy wine, but she did have a stomach problem occasionally. Her question was, "is it ok for me to have a glass of vodka each day for my stomach?".

Before I give you my answer to her, let me assure you that I recognized the contradiction between wearing a scarf when you read the Bible alone AND having a glass of vodka each day. Maybe contradiction isn't the right word. You might suggest what would be more appropriate. Could absurdity apply?

I explained to this dear woman that wine was "medicinal" in the day when Paul wrote those words. Vodka in the Ukrainian culture is very different. I also told her a drink of vodka each day is much more of a stumbling block to others than not wearing a scarf. In a culture when the large percentage of men and many women struggle with alcoholism, we need to be sensitive to our "freedoms" regarding any alcohol.

I'm not sure this dear lady stayed the entire day. I may have offended her - but I spoke from my heart, and I spoke in love. Tim and I talked today about how we all like to look at things from our own perspectives and honestly, from our own desires. So, the questions for Saturday were "scarves" and "vodka". I wonder what questions are on my heart today that might be as absurd to the Lord as these were to me. Guess I need to give Him time to point them out! So, I'll spend some time in the Word, head uncovered and heart free to worship! ..... Just my life!

Comments

Pam said…
I love this post. I think you handled it very well. You have always been good at that and I am thankful for your honesty and answering so from scripture and your heart. I am sure that I have asked questions in the same breath just like scarves and vodka.
Love and Prayers,
Pam

Popular Posts