Christmas Lunch - A New Challenge!


(Photo taken at our BUS Field Christmas Party)
Well, it's 2 days before we celebrate our American Christmas.  We see signs of the Ukranians preparing for their Christmas in January.  Just yesterday, they added Christmas trees for sale at my local market.  Most of the trees looked sad, but they were live trees!

Our guest list for Christmas lunch is now up to 9 and we're thrilled to have each person coming. But, doing lunch brings new challenges.  Here are some of the challenges I'm facing.
1.  No turkey as of yet - Hhhhmmmm, any ideas for another option?  I'm still hoping for a turkey - but this morning is the final time to find one.
2.  No Campbell's Soup here so all recipes that include soup are out - like my favorite broccoli casserole and the rice consome.  Have you ever thought about what you would do without Campbells?
3.  I have to choose dishes to cook that I have dishes to serve in - even if I included the pots for serving, I'm still short what I need.  Do I change the menu or buy new serving dishes? And I can only cook one thing at a time in my small oven.
4.  I don't have enough plates and silverware and we don't have Chinet here!  I have some ideas on this one.  Everyone may not get all the pieces of silverware - we can just share.
5.  Only one 2-quart pitcher for tea for 9 people will never work.  Since tea is a hot drink here, don't think I'll find a pitcher to fill in with.  But, what would lunch be without sweet tea.  (We're making ice to enjoy.)  I need an option for this one.
6.  We have a tiny kitchen with a table for 4.  I'll need the table for food.  I have borrowed a folding table, but where to put it.  It will fill up any of the rooms I put it in.  We may just eat on our laps.  (Some will eat on their laps even with the table up.)
7.  December 25 will be just a normal day for our Ukranian friends (except for Andrey who is joining us).  Pray that the busyness around us will not diminish the uniqueness of this day for us.

We are going to miss David and Sarah so very much!  These young Ms coming to join us will help lessen the "missing" - they know they are my kid-fix this week and they're ok with it.  We're honored to serve with Mary, Mary Ann, Joshua, Elijah and Shawn and having them here will be a blessing.  We have each other, but each of these young people came here alone.

I know many at home are facing challenges as well.  Times in the states are tough and Christmas will be different for many of those who pray for us.  We just need to keep our eyes on the Lord!  The day is to celebrate Him anyway, isn't it?

God bless you this Christmas Season!  May He reign in our lives and hearts.

Comments

Popular Posts