A day to remember - NOT!

I should have known a day like this was due!  I started out about 8:40 with great plans to make it into Kiev downtown in time to have a coffee near the church where the 10:00 conference was taking place.  But, about 25 steps from our front door I knew I needed to turn around, go back in and find better boots.  The snow and ice was packed down and even though I tried to go the best way possible, I slipped and slid several times.  It was not pretty!

By 9:00, I headed out a second time.  With great care and attention to every step, I made it to the Metro without falling.  Yes, I did slip a few times.  But, I was able to stay upright!  The walk to the Metro and the 40 minute ride into town put me about 15 minutes ahead of the conference beginning.  Not enough time to stop for coffee.  So, I just thanked the Lord for the safe trip and headed for Central Church.

My supervisor sat with me during the first part of the conference and translated as each church planter introduced himself (and his wife if she was there) and told a little about their work.  I was truly humbled to hear their passion for getting the gospel to people around them.  I could have sat and listened for hours.  

Neither my supervisor or I had an exact schedule.  I had been told I would be with the wives from 2 - 4.  But, all of a sudden at 11:30 we were dismissed until 1:00.  Well, I could adjust my time, but HELLO - NO TRANSLATOR!  Seems that little detail had been overlooked.  So, there I stood thinking of Plan B, no Plan C, maybe Plan D.  My sweet supervisor came in and helped us get started, but he had a meeting and had to speak to the men.  So, I told him not to worry, we'd deal with it.

I looked around the room.  Everyone looked at me.  I smiled, they smiled.  I chuckled, they looked and smiled.

We had invited Anna Burkehina, the national director for Sister's BEE Ministry.  There she was, smiling at me right in the middle of the front row.  She speaks a little English (chut-chut), and probably understands much more than she speaks.  So, I asked her to help me through this knowing she couldn't translate.  We opened the word, read the passage and I fed questions to Anna while she kept our time together moving along.  She was wonderful, WONDERFUL!  I had brought two visual aids and that helped us all feel as though we were thinking the same thing.

I just kept praying remembering that God really doesn't need me - He just allows me to be part of His work.  Whatever needed to be done today was done - I can rest assured that He does not fail.  I did my part and I knew He would do His!

Well, Anna and I finished for the day and headed to the Christian Book Store.  I bought a Russian Children's Bible so I can start trying to read Russian the way children learn.  I know it will be years before I can speak the language - before I can do without a translator.  But, in the meantime.....I'll just trust the Lord, I'll keep doing my part and trusting Him to do His.

I headed home in the dark at 3:45 pm and slipped and slid my way from the Metro to the apartment.  A day to remember - NOT!  I learned some things today and I won't soon forget the precious church planters and their wives - but this day will be one to forget.

Comments

Popular Posts