Oh Happy Day!

Saturday was a GREAT day!  In fact, when I consider last week, the entire week was pretty good!  Not only was it a wonderful Thanksgiving, I found some much needed products (pictured right).  And  to top it off Tim took me to a local mall on Saturday morning and we got to feel like we were back home in the states.  We finished our day out with pizza at Sbarro's, Diet Coke to drink and I topped it off with a Cafe' Latte from McDonalds.  It was a happy day.

Back to my precious finds.  I found the following very sought after items:
Powdered sugar (small box for $3 US)                           
Ground cinnamon 
Rum flavoring for baking (in 1/2 tsp. sizes)
Butter flavoring for baking (in 1/2 tsp. sizes)
Lettuce (at my price)
Baking soda
Cocoa (another very expensive item in a small package)
Brown sugar (doesn't pack, but it's good)
Wasa crackers
Fresh sweet potatoes (never found the canned)

I wish I could tell you that those "things" didn't matter.  But the truth is, they do.  We've only been to the mall twice since we arrived, but being there made me feel much like I was in the states.  Also, having some of those "things" lessens the cultural differences that we face everyday.   I can't begin to express how excited I was by finding things that made me able to cook more like I want to.  I was so excited on Saturday, I came home and made a 2nd dessert to carry to our team worship.

God made the choice of where we would be born.  He choose the culture we would be raised in. He does everything with a purpose.  Our job is to make sure the "things" are used by us and don't become things that keep us from serving the Lord, wherever we are.  I did know how many "things" I wouldn't have access to when I arrived here.  I could get by with out them, but boy was it a blessing to find them.  I believe God had saved that blessing for me until I needed it most.  It was a reminder that He does supply all we need, and far more than we could ever imagine!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen sister. As we begin to shed our things I realize more and more how little they mean. There is simultaneously great angst and great freedom in the process. Daily I appreciate, more and more, God's blessings in what I have possessed and in the lesson He is teaching me with my possessions. God has put us in the world and the world is made of "things". These things are not bad, but can become more important to us than God. I am relishing the thought of the day when I will not have very many things to distract me from Him.

Popular Posts