Another new experience!

Everyday seems to bring a new experience.  Today was my first time buying prescription medicine in Ukraine.  We don't have to have an actual prescription.  The average person here can't afford to buy medicines unless it is a life or death situation so prescriptions aren't a big deal.

We have Aptecas (pharmacies) everywhere, so I headed to the one nearest my apartment.  I had written the name of the medicine I needed on a piece of paper.  But, since I couldn't find a Russian rendering of the medicine, I had written it in English and then again in a transliteration.  I headed into the store, waited my turn, then gave it a shot.  It only took two times pronouncing the word before the lady behind the counter understood.  YEA! But, I didn't think about miligrams or anything like that at the time, I just ask for the meds.  I decided to cut my chances and take what she had.  Then she quoted me a price.  I thought she said 45 griven, so I pulled out a 50.  She laughed at me and shook her head.  I suspected I was wrong by her response.  In another effort, I took out a 5 griven.  She smiled, took the money and gave me 50 kopecks back.  Finally!  I took my drugs and my change and my receipt and headed out.

When I got home and read the box the pills were .25 grams (I could read that in Russian).  My Rx bottle from the states was 500 mg.  Another problem.  Tim is out of town - and he's usually much better with conversions than I am.  So, I headed for google.  After about 30 minutes of research and checking my info, I determined that I had to take 2 pills to equal one of what I had been taking.  (If I'm wrong, let me know soon!).

Finally, I could take the meds.  Thinking they were made like at home, I put 2 in my mouth and followed it with water.  YUK!  You can't imagine the taste.  No coating or buffering at all!  The water even seemed to make it worse.  Next time I'll take them with food.

Oh well, another day, another experience.  How's your day going?
 

Comments

The Howards said…
Cami sure enjoyed talking with her Mrs. Marsha last night! Love the roller coaster photo...no squinty eyes in that one!
Anonymous said…
You are right on your math for the pills. We take so many little things for granted in the US.

Popular Posts