DUH moment!

Today, I had one of those "duh" moments.  You know what they are.  Those are the times that you have this moment of "Aha!" about something that you should have thought more about before.  You've all had them,  I know.  Something happens that all of a sudden sinks into your brain and you go "DUH - why hadn't I thought of that before?".

There's a family here from Mississippi adopting a child.  They spotted us in the city the other day and when we found out they were SB and a youth pastor at that, we connected.  Well, I was going into the city today to take them to Andreevsk'y Spusk to do some souvenir shopping.  (Yeah, those of you that have been here are drooling right now!).  I started out what would be a regular day, getting on the metro, finding a seat and reading a book until I got into town.  Then something happened that we see all the time.  A young man, about 20  years old, came on board with a guitar and started singing.  After 30 seconds or so, people started opening their pockets and giving him grivna or kopecks.  So, he headed down the wagon and took up money as he sang.  Like I said, this happens all the time so I really didn't pay attention.  The young man got off at the next stop and I continued reading.

What happened next was my DUH moment.  A  man of about 70, very clean cut and neat got on and started singing in an amazing voice!  This wasn't your regular old guy getting money for his brew.  This man was distinguished looking.  He had a clear and healthy looking complexion, not the ruddy and pink complexion of an alcoholic.  Not as many people opened their pockets, most likely because they had already emptied them for the young guy.  I didn't open mine either - and I regret it.

This man went through the wagon just like the younger man.  Some people gave him money, but most just listened.  As I sat there, I thought about what it must be like to set aside your pride and "sing on the subway" for  a living.  This man had to have lived through many years of communism when he undoubtedly had bread everyday - no singing necessary!  I wondered what he had been like as a young man.  Did he have a family?  Had he been a military man?  He was much more than a man singing on a subway in that moment.  He was a handsome, talented child of God using what God had given him to make a living.  I wondered if he was sick or someone in his family was sick.  I wondered if he had a job but was trying to make extra money to buy something needed for this time.  I couldn't imagine what would compel such a handsome man with so a wonderful voice sing for money on the subway.

So, what was my DUH?  God will provide for me, but He may require more participation on my part than I want to give.  He may ask me to set aside my pride or my "rights".  He may ask me to serve rather than be served.  He may ask me to use what He has already given me to meet my basic needs.  He probably won't ask me to sing since I don't have a very good voice.  I need to stop looking and asking for "more".  I need to be satisfied with what I have and be creative when new needs arise.

Those of you who are more cynical than me may question that old man's motives.  That's OK.  This was my "moment".  And I'm thankful the Lord spoke to me in such a "lovely" way.

Comments

Popular Posts