Language Struggles!

I'm not feeling very well today - so I'm a little slow.  
My landlord had to come by to pick up 3 letters.  He speaks less English than I do Russian.  When he came in, he started asking me questions which of course I didn't understand.  But, I'd hear a word or two that I thought I understood and say "oh, am I......... or are we......" as if I had somehow understood his question or response - which I didn't.  It's really quite comical as I think about it.  Why in the world did I think I understood his Russian explanation of what he had just said in Russian that I didn't understand?  Yet, somehow "I think" I get it and respond as if I do.  No doubt, if you were a fly on the wall you'd be dying laughing.  Finally, my landlord says "Vica" because his daughter, Vica speaks English.  Both of us know that we can communicate only when Vica is around!

In my Bible study, I'm going through the book of Acts.  In chapter 2 today, when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost, the disciples experienced a language miracle.  (Oh, that I would have one of those!)  But, even when they spoke the truth clearly, people still thought them drunk!  

Some people will never understand what propels us to trust God and share the gospel.  We'll always be speaking a foreign language to them.  Peter spoke the words of Joel 2.  In verse 12 of that passage, Joel says "even now - turn to me with all your heart".  It's not too late!  Where are you today?  Is the word of God a mystery to you?  Does it seem like a foreign language to you?  Turn to the Lord, wait on the Holy Spirit and trust God to speak!

Who cares what the world thinks of us?  I don't.  
For me to learn Russian, I've had to lay down a good deal of pride.  I make silly mistakes every day.  People laugh at me constantly.  I slaughter the Russian language - but I press on and encourage you to do the same!

Now, I'll take some more medicine and head back to bed.  With the smell of borscht coming from my neighbor's apartment, it may be difficult to sleep.  Oh, if only I could go over and ask her for a bowl of soup?  But, there's the Russian thing again.
Oh well........for now.........
Praise God! - Slava Bogu!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so sorry you are not feeling well today. I hope that the meds are helping. I know you had a great time with Mom and the group. She was so excited when she got home. She just kept talking about you. I know she misses you. Please know we pray for you often. Kaleb is speaking beautiful Kalab-ese. I can't understand a word but we get through with laughter. I can't wait to tell you about the Bible Study and How God is SPEAKING so clearly. All my love and prayers to you and Tim.

Popular Posts