Not praying - sinful?

I remember very clearly the first time I ran into someone that I had told I would be praying for an issue they had and as they were sharing an update I realized I had not kept my word!  I had not prayed.   In fact I had not thought about them after I walked away that day.  My feet melted into the concrete beneath the floor I was standing on.  I was so embarrassed and disgusted with myself.

Later that day as I prayed for that person and in particular what I had not done, God gave me the Scripture above.  I think it's the first time I understood the seriousness of committing to pray and then not doing it.  Since that time if someone has asked me to pray I've tried to do it right there on the spot.  I pray over the phone, in a parking lot, wherever God gives me opportunity.  

We fail others when we don't pray.  But, God is clear that He takes it personally.  His word indicates it is a sin AGAINST HIM when we don't pray.

I've added a few headings in my prayer journal that I'll fill in later (Tim, one for each of my children and grandchildren, a ministry Tim and I are involved in, and I've left a few blank pages).  About half way through my new journal, I've added the Scripture you see above.  It's a great reminder that God is waiting for me to share what's on my heart for others.  And I've started adding the names of those I'm praying for on a list that will grow in proportion to how much time I'm willing to spend in prayer.  I prayed for each of the people on my list and it brought me to tears.  Lord, please hear my prayer!

Time to move on in your journal to.  Skip over a few pages and start your pages of intercession for others.  As you turn those pages, would you share with me the Scriptures you're adding for your spouse or your family members or other topics that I may want to include?

What a journey of prayer!  Thank you for joining me!

Comments

Popular Posts