Giving Thanks in Kiev

While the world around us in Kiev went on as normal, we were blessed to gather with coworkers to give thanks on our American Thanksgiving Day!  We were invited to eat at the home of some other American coworkers.  With some adjustments, we did our best to recreate the dishes we love from back home in the states.  We had sweet potato casserole made with instant dry sweet potatoes, We had deviled eggs with a pickle that was as close to sweet cubes as possible - although Tim had to cut them down to size.  One coworker got very creative and made her own version of Green Bean Casserole.  We even included some cabbage rolls to remember our new lives in Ukraine.  I made my regular sugar cookies and came as close as possible to making a chocolate cake.  And of course, we had the turkey I found in the Renick last week!  All in all, it really felt and tasted like Thanksgiving.

We took time to remember things that we're thankful for and we shared Scripture to remind us that all good things come from God!  We shared laughter and even a few tears.
I have to be honest - it was hard not being with my family.  David and Ashley were with her Mom and Grandmother in the morning and then shared a big meal with Tim's family.  Sarah and Michael spent the morning preparing food for families who needed help to have a special meal and even took time to deliver them before eating with Michael's family.  All of them will be together with my sister's family and my mom and step-father this weekend.  So, the kids are fine - but oh, so far away! 

 Taylor and T.J. Smith have helped me prepare Thanksgiving food for the last few years.  They would spend the night and we would work late on Wednesday and get up early on Thursday to get it done.  Each of them had specific dishes they prepared.  Taylor always did the deviled eggs - even though she hated them.  T.J. made the broccoli casserole and the Chocolate Chiffon Cake.  I thought about them several times during the day as I prepared things without them.  I hope they learned some things from our time together that they used this year.
 
People say that our memories are supposed to comfort us.  I guess they do, but they end much too quickly.  There's always another day ahead, another task to get done.  So, our thoughts and memories get interrupted.  I realize we're making new memories everyday,  but I wish there was more time to reflect on those of days gone by.  
 
This holiday season I hope we all take time to look back and I hope we take time to look forward, to make new memories!  Here's praying your memories will be full of love, laugher and life!

Comments

Popular Posts