We returned this morning from a 15 hour train ride from Crimea.  The Metro was so crowded we couldn't get on with our luggage.  We finally had to take a taxi, but we did make it home safely!

I readjusted to being home for a few minutes, then headed out to the grocery store to buy food for tonight.  We have coworkers coming for dinner to meet our Ukranian friend.  I've finally figured out how to make a pound cake with ingredients from here, so I thought that would be a safe dessert!  Think again - Marsha!  There was no sugar in the grocery store -  NONE!  (well actually there was a small box of sugar cubes - but that didn't count).  I finished in the grocery store and headed to the Renick (market).  I went to about 8 stores before I found some home made beet sugar.  I paid $4 greevna for a kilo and headed home after what ended up being a 1 1/2 hour trip around the block.

So, those of you head out to Harris Teeter, Food Lion or Kroger today - walk down the sugar aisle and thank the Lord for the plenty before you!  I'm thankful for my beet sugar and hoping it worked in the cake I just took out of the oven!

Comments

Popular Posts